2022 Legislative Agenda
During the 2022 legislative session, the NASW-AL Legislative Committee worked diligently with social workers across the state as well as alongside partner organizations (such as Alabama Arise and Alabama Appleseed) on the following bills which align with social work values:
Bills we supported:
- HB50 – Requires local Boards of Education to provide feminine hygiene products in women’s restrooms of certain schools at no cost to students.
- HB200 & SB117 – Limits the debt-based suspension of driver’s licenses.
- HB1 – Provides workplace protections against pregnancy discrimination.
- HB28 – Prohibits practices regarding pregnant inmates and/or in immediate postpartum period.
Status of those bills at the end of session:
- HB50 – enacted, 4/6/22
- HB200 & SB117 – Passed in the Senate; House bill got stuck in Judiciary Committee, 3/17/22
- HB1 – only introduced, 1/11/22
- HB28 – only introduced, 1/11/22